Frequently Asked Questions

You will have been allocated a local veterinary practice to carry out your Government veterinary work including the TB test. If you are unsure, then please contact your normal veterinary practice. In most cases they will be able to make the appropriate arrangements. If your regular practice has chosen to opt out of providing free Government testing services then please call XL Farmcare on 0800 612 5289 to seek advice. 

All farmers are entitled to pay privately for their Government veterinary services and in those cases you can make arrangements with the vet of their choice. You would need to let APHA know so that the vet can access the schedules required to submit the test results.

Alternatively you can contact the XL Farmcare admin team and, with sufficient notice, it is generally possible to make arrangements for an alternate vet practice to attend.

Please contact APHA on 03000 200 301. They will decide if the matter requires investigation.

OVs are private veterinary practitioners who perform statutory veterinary work, which is either funded by Government or charged directly to the client. OVs providing services to APHA are authorised after they have taken accreditation and revalidation programmes of training. They are paid via their own contractual arrangements with a veterinary practice who are in turn contracted to the Veterinary Delivery Partners responsible for testing in the relevant geographical area. On cattle farms their principle activity is carrying out the TB test. They are also occasionally required to carry out surveillance testing for Brucellosis abortion in cattle or for sudden deaths caused by Anthrax.

If you are not satisfied with the service you are receiving from either the OV or the veterinary business allocated to you by the Delivery Partner or from the Delivery Partner themselves, you should raise a complaint with the Delivery Partner. If the Delivery Partner is not able to resolve the matter to your satisfaction they should refer the matter to APHA. You can also escalate the matter to APHA directly (03000 200 301). If you are not satisfied with the service you have received from an OV that you have chosen to pay for yourself, you should inform APHA.

It is possible for a Delivery Partner to arrange for the transfer of work to a neighbouring Delivery Partner if there are good practical reasons. This is something that would need to be agreed between the two Delivery Partners, APHA and yourself. If you are in this situation, you should contact APHA (03000 200 301) or XL Farmcare (0800 612 5289) to discuss the possibility of the work being managed by a single Delivery Partner.